Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Meet Rusty, the One-Eyed Dog

Rusty is a cycloptic Canis familiaris with an indomitable "can-do" spirit. As a puppy, he lost his eye in a freak mowing accident (that will teach him to mow the yard), and recently almost died with a mystery illness. Luckily, he bounced back.


I have a feeling that Rusty did not realize that having just one eye was supposed to slow him down, because he is very active running and swimming on "his farm".

Oops. Where is the tail? Too bad, I liked the look on his face.
I had traveled to Cartersville, Georgia to take photos for a Boy Scout promo and Rusty lived in the house where I did the photoshoot. In between the human photos, we coaxed Rusty onto the set to see if I could make a portrait of him.


I find that dogs who love treats can be easier to photograph compared to ones who could care less. Rusty likes cheese... enough said. The photos below were taken at an angle that makes it easy to imagine Rusty whole again.


A few minutes before these photos he decided to take a swim in the river even though it was 40 degrees outside.  I think he would have jumped in even if there was ice on the surface. Rusty was not going to let anything stop him from having a fun. Good boy!