Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Portrait of a Two-Legged Dog

When my friend, Collin, asked me if I wanted to help him take photos of his mom, Ginger, and her Chiauau, Roo, little did I know that this dog would more resemble several other animals combined. Roo is unique because she was born without fully developed front legs. She has the stance of a kangaroo, the small wings of a chicken and the huge ears of a cave bat.


She has never known what it is like to walk on 4 legs and she considers hopping, sliding and dive bombing from the top of the couch totally natural for a dog. To get around she stands on her back legs and uses her tail to balance... just like a kangaroo.



When it was my turn to take photos, I used every stupid dog trick in the book from fake "barks" to cat "meows" to get her ears to stick straight up or her head cocked to one side. A little bribery with cheese did wonders too. See the full gallery here.


Here is Roo with his mom, Ginger. You will not find a bigger animal lover!


Roo is living proof that a strong spirit will find a way to adapt!