Sunday, October 24, 2010

Haunted Ghost Tour in Oakland Cemetery

My wife and I were invited to participate in one of Atlanta's coolest yearly events... the historic ghost tour in Oakland Cemetery. In my opinion this is one of the most peaceful and beautiful places in the city. Unlike today's fields of fake flowers, this one has amazing sculptures, monuments and mausoleums. And it has almost 70,000 souls buried there.

We arrived right before sunset which is the perfect time to see Atlanta's buildings and grave markers blend together into some ghosty city.







The view changed by the second as the sun raced towards the horizon.


Some of the mausoleums were open giving a rare glimpse inside.


The moon was rising over the city at the same time. I should also mention that all of these photos were taken with my phone. I left my camera at the house so I could be social and not "on the job".


We were met my the "ghosts" of six people buried in there. They told us their stories and how they each got to where they are today. Some of the stories were funny, and others sad. 


Each one was a real breathing person once, now words to read on a stone. 


The guide told us that it is said people die three times. Once on their last breath, once when they are laid to rest and the final time when they are no longer remembered.


Some people may find this place scary or creepy, but I do not. To me, these are monuments to loved ones, friends and family. We already plan to make this a yearly event.


Did the dead know were were there? Did they see us visiting?


I may have seen a ghost on the way out... What do you think?