Sunday, January 30, 2011

Going From "Stone Age" to "Space Age" Television

I have often taken a lot of good natured ribbing about my slow adoption of technology. Back in the day, when everyone else was getting a cell phone, I bought a beeper. When most people were on their second flat screen tv, my wife and I were still watching a 100 lb. tube style behemoth. I drove a 14 year old beater with peeling paint and a leaky trunk probably a few years longer than I should have. If it's not broke, why fix it was my motto. The only thing that I have never skimped on is camera gear, because you truly get what you pay for.

When it is time to buy some new technological device, I find my self going from dusty antique to shiny new super gadget overnight. For me, it is almost the equivalent of traveling to the future to see how humans will be using devices ten years from now. I agonize over these major purchases... spending untold hours researching and discovering what the best product is for me. That is part of the fun of being on a budget...you are forced to look at cost/value relationships, and wait for the right time to buy.

This is how I came to the point of buying a new 3D flat screen television to replace our "old school" cabinet tv. My buddy, Jason of Performance AV, did the honors of transporting our living room into the future with a wall mounted TV, and a component rack with hidden wires in the wall. We could not be happier with it. You can see the time lapse video below.