Saturday, May 29, 2010

My New Honda S2000



They say the best time to buy a convertible is in the winter so I took that advice and bought my "new" used car during a rare Atlanta snow storm. I had just turned 40 and had wanted to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning a really cool sports car.

I had been lusting after the Honda S2000 since 1999 when it first appeared. To me this is what a sports car should be... beautiful, simple, timeless, well balanced and made with a very high standard of quality. It's not the fastest or the biggest, but it is one of the best affordable sports cars made in the past 10 years.

I had been casually hunting through classified and Ebay to see what the current market was for these cars when I saw one advertised at a local dealership. I was really just going to go for a test drive... Really I was. I swear. But there she was on the edge of the lot... looking perfect. The yellow paint almost glowed in the dark, and I soon started to think about the possiblities.

Was I originally planning on buying a pearl lemon painted car when I started my search? Heck no! Yellow attracts cops almost as much as donuts. What I was looking for was a nice used Honda S2000 that was silver with a red interior, second generation with mileage under 100,000.

This car smelled new, looked new and had a small fortune in upgraded and tasteful wheels installed already. It was a 2002 model and it had less than 11,000 on the odometer. That means that the previous owners barely drove this car.

We settled on a decent price and I took the car home when the snow subsided. I have not looked back since. This has been the coolest thing I have ever bought. Luckily my wife is not a jealous woman because I tell her everyday how much I love my new toy. Life is good!